Grilled Orange Chicken | A Fun Way To Make Chicken
Grilled orange chicken, paired with grilled peaches or pineapple, makes a light supper on a hot summer evening. This goes well with rice, a green salad, and grilled fruit. If desired, grill a few little mini peppers with the chicken as well.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25-30 mins
- 2 chicken breasts, halved and skinned
- 3/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp basil, fresh chopped
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- Mix the orange juice, garlic powder, salt, ½ tsp basil, and soy sauce in a small bowl. Stir well and let sit for a few minutes to dissolve and blend the salt and garlic.
- Rinse and skin the chicken breasts if needed. Place in a plastic bag or a shallow dish. Add ½ of the orange juice mixture. Make sure all of the chicken is covered with the sauce. Place in the refrigerator and let marinate for 2-4 hours. If needed, turn the chicken to be sure it is marinated well.
- While the chicken is marinating, add the cornstarch to the remainder of the orange juice mixture to thicken. (Hint: To make it easier and reduce lumping, place 1 – 2 TBSP orange juice in a small bowl. Add the cornstarch and mix very well to remove all lumps. Then add the blended mixture back into the remainder of the orange juice sauce ).
- After the chicken has marinated, remove the chicken from the sauce and discard the sauce.
- Align the SolSource and preheat the grill pan. Lightly grease the pan with olive oil. When the pan is very hot, add the chicken. To get beautiful grill lines, sear the chicken on the first side for about 2 – 3 minutes, then turn over and sear on the second side.
- Spoon the glaze over the top of the chicken. Allow it to cook down. Flip the chicken and add glaze to the other side of the chicken. Continue to add glaze to the chicken until the chicken is done (165 °F /75°C internal temperature). Sprinkle the remainder of the basil on top of the chicken. Remove chicken from the pan and serve hot.
This grilled orange chicken recipe comes from Sunshine On My Shoulder. For another delicious solar cooking recipe, see Grilled Chicken Sausage with Peppers and Onions.
Merry Bevill is the owner/writer of Sunshine On My Shoulder, www.sunshineonmyshoulder.com, a complete guide to solar cooking. She has been solar cooking since 2008 and has more than 300 solar cooking recipes on her website.